Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year - Welcome to the Slump


Here it is, the end of 2010 and in a few hours, the beginning of 2011. 2011? Sounds like we should be flying around in personal UFOs and watching robots cook dinner for us.

Ah, not the case - technology fails us once again. Maybe the Amish are on to something after all. Dude, have you ever seen the movie Witness? If that doesn't make you wanna churn butter, nothing will.

I'm smack dab in the middle of my winter riding slump. I usually have the wheels eject off the wagon in late November, then besides a few easy mountain bike rides and the occasional garage trainer torture session, live like a normal person though the holidays. Bike commuting on hold, drive to work everyday and eat way too much. I can feel my alleged fitness level drop and notice the few extra pounds.

Plus, I've been whacked with a few bad colds since November, including sporting one right now that's been hanging on for two weeks. In a way a good thing - would rather get friendly with a few nasty viruses now, rather then the middle of July. Not that we have much of a choice in such matters, still a look at the bright side (hack, wheeze, sniffle). Pass the pumpkin pie (burp).

The riding break can be a good thing. After many weeks of driving into downtown Seattle and paying $8 daily to park, missing the scenery and riding pals on the Burke-Gilman Trail - I can't wait to crank it up again. A bit of a breather gets you psyched to ride once more. Gaining the fitness level back can be tough and seems to take longer as I get older. However, after years and years of riding, I know it does come back. And it will return once more.

To all who actually read this little ol' blog, thanks for doing so. Some of you have become online blogger pals and I find that aspect really fun. We're all linked together by the love of cycling and the wonder of the Internet. Maybe the Amish are missing something after all.

Happy New Year.

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Dan, hope it's a great one for you and the family. I really enjoy your Blog and as a matter of fact I'm expecting my book, "A Dog in a Hat" any day now, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. geeesh, I Have my robots cook for me all the time, and really enjoy my UFO flights.
    Happy New Year to you Mr Dan, many more happy rides to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you too Dan.

    I am sure you will be back on
    the bike and spinning your way back to core fitness soon.

    Have a great 2011.
    Trevor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all. Happy New Year and some great riding to you guys as well.

    ReplyDelete